I realized I'll never keep this up to date if I wait to have brilliant things to say about the books. Plus, why not admit to reading the junk? So as a start, mostly books I can see from here, in somewhat reverse chronological order of when I read them:
Lois McMaster Bujold, in Cryoburn now and previously read the earlier Miles Vorkosigan books
Michael Crichton, most of his books; just recently found and read The Great Train Robbery and re-read The Terminal Man and The Andromeda Strain
James Rollins, Altar of Eden
John LeCarré, Our Game -- reasonably good writing, bleak but educational
Douwe Draaisma, Disturbances of the Mind, reviewed in J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 22(4):452.
David Baldacci, True Blue
Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol (previously read the earlier related books)
Steve Berry, The Paris Vendetta; previously The Alexandria Link (interesting), and last year before June Sommer recommended Berry, The Romanov Prophecy
A set of books I read earlier this year when bored, originally bought for Winona at her request:
Anne McCaffrey, The Lady bleh, Three Women surprisingly misogynistic and definitely not recommended, The Coelura uch, Get Off the Unicorn. Previously read pretty much all the dragon books.
Mary Stewart, Touch Not the Cat meh, Thornyhold
Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee, Cradle
Elizabeth Chadwick, The Marsh King's Daughter
David Weber, The War God's Own, Wind Rider's Oath, The War God's Own; In Fury Born; the Honor Harrington series
L. B. Graham, Beyond the Summerland, Bringer of Storms, Shadow in the Deep -- the first was a gift from Jon Koller (thank you!), who I believe knows the author.
C. S. Forrester, The African Queen
Ben Bova, Moonwar, Jupiter, Saturn, and most of the rest of that series
Isaac Asimov, almost all his science fiction
Orson Scott Card, works including Saints, the original Ender's Game trilogy (which includes Xenophobia, maybe the only novel truly about OCD), the series with the spaceship BoM-like weirdness, the first Alvin Maker book, and a few others.
J. K. Rowling, the Harry Potter series and the little charity add-on volumes
Robert Jordan (pseudonym), the Wheel of Time series (haven't read the most recently published one yet)
Robert Bork, Coercing Virtue: The Worldwide Rule of Judges
Ann Coulter, Treason -- Reading this, I can understand all the criticism of her.
Piers Anthony, Split Infinity, Blue Adept, Juxtaposition -- couldn't take the punishment.
Willa Cather, One of Ours and O Pioneers! -- I think One of Ours was the first book I read when I had started to write my novel and realized some of the hubris of that venture and decided to read some good writing starting with this Pulitzer Prize winner. I remember putting the book down briefly after the first couple of pages, just awed by how good she was at "show, don't tell," and at how artfully she had addressed the problem of what goes on the first page.
John A. Garrity, Quarrels That Have Shaped the Constitution -- loved it
William J. Bennett, Death of Outrage: Bill Clinton and the Assault on American Ideals -- actually I remember thinking it was very nicely argued, though I bet the author came to hate the title after people probably started using it on him :)
No comments:
Post a Comment