Monday, January 31, 2011

Lydia update #15

The good news is, her chest X-ray looks pretty much back to normal today. Well, if you don't count the chest tube. The bad news—if you need more bad news beyond still being in the ICU on a ventilator—is that last night she had another spell of low oxygen saturation (<80%), apparently lasting almost an hour. Makes me second-guess my decision to sleep at home the last couple of nights. Of course, if I'd been here I couldn't have done anything. Also, her GI tract isn't moving much and a slow feeding rate of 25mL/hr (about 2.5 cups a day) was more than she could clear from her stomach. But they'll be restarting the food at a slower rate, and giving her some food intravenously as well. They are turning down the nitric oxide to try to prevent toxicity. We'll see how she tolerates that. She's still at 95% inspired oxygen, nowhere near the 40% or so that would let them think about breathing her by mask. Overall I think I'll focus on the chest X-ray. :)

Oh, I told the nurses, here we get 6 kids through middle school drug free, and now Lydia's using morphine and Versed before she even turns 3. Sigh. You can't win 'em all.

Thank you to all of you who have been expressing love and concern and solidarity.

Kevin

3 comments:

arijane said...

Well, Jonathan's not really through middle school yet...

Kevin J. Black said...

I couldn't figure out how to make it sound cool without neglecting that awkward verity. :)

Ellen Venturella-Wilson, MS, OTR/L said...

Hi,
It's Ellen (Lydia's OT). I had no idea that Lydia was having a tough time until I received Winona's email earlier today. Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to Lydia for a speedy recovery and to your family for strength. Please let me know if you need anything...I'd be willing to help. Give Lydia a hug from me.
Ellen :)