This would be my mom’s birthday if she were still alive. It’s also Monday, and that means the whole team is in (plus Lydia’s regular pediatrician) and decisions get made.
Lydia’s oxygenation has been pretty good (O2 saturation ~95% at FiO2 60%). However, even when she is fairly alert, her breaths aren’t strong enough to breathe without help from the ventilator. Plus, when she’s not knocked out, she hates the tubes in her mouth so much that she actually pushed the bite block out of her mouth this morning with her tongue, moving her endotracheal tube several centimeters and creating quite a little urgent chaos until it could be re-taped. Also, her bowels just aren’t moving and she’s full of gas.
The plan is to start i.v. nutrition today and to arrange a tracheostomy, possibly tomorrow. Among other reasons for doing it, the tracheostomy will allow her to be less sedated. She will basically need some breathing rehab (gradually strengthening her breathing muscles). There are a few other medical details that will bore most of you, the most notable of which is that they’re starting antibiotics because of a positive et tube swab for Pseudomonas. She has no fever, though, and her chest X-ray doesn$rsquo;t look like pneumonia.
So, Lydia is slowly improving, Dad understands a little better what Lydia’s doctors are thinking, and Mom has a plan, and therefore less uncertainty and helplessness.
The children at home continue to be big helpers. Charissa stayed Saturday night so Mom and Dad could go home. Lots of other people have helped too. We are grateful for all the faith and prayers. Many of you who talked to Winona or me at church yesterday (we attended different services so one of us could stay with Lydia) really lifted our spirits with your comments. The visits from our medical friends have been wonderful. My dad called and was supportive as always. The burritos and rigatoni and bread and cherry sours were pretty great, too. :) Thank you also to people who’ve given the school kids rides, and to people whose contributions I have probably forgotten to mention.
7 comments:
Kevin,
I noticed there are not a lot of comments. I just want to let you know that we are all reading. Lydia is part of my daily conversation with people and they all know how she is doing thanks to your daily blogging. A few people who were not aware of the blog have called to ask how she is and how to find out. Thank you for your daily efforts to let us all in on how she is doing. It means a lot to all of us.
Jennifer P
I'd like to second Jen's comment. We Morrisons check the blog daily to read about how Lydia and her family are doing. Thanks for keeping us all updated. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
I can "third" Jen's thought. Your blog has made it into Safari's auto-generated list of "favorites" on my computer, so when I open a new tab, I can get to your blog with one click. We check daily to see how Lydia is fairing. We're praying for you!
The Zeiglers
I agree too! I read your blog everyday to get updates on Lydia. Thank you for posting. I'll continue to keep Lydia and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Ellen, OT
As someone who usually sits directly behind your family during Sacrament meeting I must say I really do miss seeing those cute little red ponytails & that sweet smile in front of me. I love watching her look through her books & sign to her family. She is a ray of sunshine to all around her. We pray for her daily & anxiously await her return to the ward family. Also, our prayers are for her sweet, hurting parents who have meant so much to us over the years. Be strong... be not dismayed. XO
Thank you, all of you. It means a lot.
Love and prayers from the frozen North.
The Mickelsons
Post a Comment