Family,
Things are going well here in Osijek. Things I forgot from last week: 1. did you know that Croatians drive on the right side of the street like Americans? I would`ve expected them to drive on the left, like brittish. 2. I`d take St. Louis`s restaurants over Croatia`s any day. 3. Most people speak English at least somewhat. If we start speaking to them in Croatian, they almost always say, ˝It`s ok, you can say it on English˝. In Croatian, it`s ˝na Engleskom˝, and na means on. 4. I didn`t say anything about my trainer really. Sister Creager is pretty great. She has brown hair and brown eyes, and looks a little bit like pictures of mom when she was younger. The day I arrived in Croatia, we were wearing similar outfits, and the Rowes´ 6 yr old twins said that they had a hard time telling which of us was which. At church on Sunday, one of the elders started talking to me as if I were sister Creager because I was doing something with my back to them, and our hair was done similarly. She loves to laugh, and she loves to talk. She knows the scriptures pretty well and always has good ideas for object lessons and such. It`s a little weird finally teaching with a sister though after being with just elders for 2 months.
Guess what! We`re going to Serbia this week for a leadership training meeting. That should be fun. I`m excited. I didn`t think I`d ever go there, but since we`re now in the Serbian zone, and there are 6 Serbian elders and 4 of us in our district, we`re going there instead of having them come to Croatia.
Seminary with Marijana is great. it was one of the highlights of our week. We watched a clip from the seminary video with little kids talking about the old testiment, and how it isn`t as boring or complex as people sometimes make it. It`s pretty funny. I`d highly recommend it. We then talked about the plan of salvation, and she had some amazingly deep questions about it, about what happens if you are exalted and your husband isn`t, about what happens to children who die when they`re young, about the nature of God... lots of really deep questions, some of which we couldn`t answer to her satisfaction without going into theoreticals. We told her though that God loves each of his children, and he gives them each a chance to get all of the same blessings, no matter what their situation is in this life. I don`t know the answer to everything, but I know that God knows what he`s doing, and everything He does is to give us more joy and happiness.
I`m giving my first talk in church this week. Sister Creager and I are also giving the sunday school lesson. That`s what we get for having a small branch. This week we had Božo, Marijana, Lidia, and Vera. Vera is one of the most active members, but she`s been on vacation, so I hadn`t met her yet.
On Friday for aktivnost, we played that game where you write a sentence, pass the paper to the next person, they draw a picture and cover the sentence, and the next person writes a sentence based on the picture and covers the picture, etc. It was a lot of fun. The members had fun reading our poor croatian. At one point, I wanted to use a verb that I knew was irregular, stajati-to stand, but I didn`t know how to conjugate it, so I just pretended it was a regular verb because Elder Schouten was on my left, and I figured he would recognize the verb, but he wouldn`t know any better than me, and he wouldn`t know if I said something completely different than I meant to on accident. I was right. It turns out staja is a stable or a stall or something, but Elder Schouten read it as ˝he stands˝, so it worked. It was a lot of fun. My sentence was something like ˝Vodenikonji jedu misionare, jer nisu održali zapovijedi Boga˝. We made chocolate chip cookies for it. they were pretty good.
We`ve been really excited that Lidia`s son, Alen, has been coming to church and activities the last couple weeks. It would be great if we could get a non-missionary priesthood holder in this branch. unfortunately though, I think his improved attendance has a little too much to do with him thinking my companion`s cute, so we`ve had to be careful about how much encouragement we give him. We`ll see how things go with him.
We have 2 new investigators: Lily and her daughter, Lea. We`re helping Lea with her english as well. They invited us to eat lunch with their family last Sunday after only really meeting us once. I like them very much.
Mom- thanks for sending the blog address. Give Lydia a hug for me. I hope the surgery goes well.
Jon- I hope auditions for Peter Pan go well. The most popular icecream shop here is called Petar Pan. So far, I`ve gotten: nutela and pistašio, tamna čocolata (dark chocolate) and stračjatela (or however they spell it here), višnija (cherry) and čocolata višnija. They`ve all been very good. I usually do ˝pola pola˝ (half and half) so I can get twice as many flavors.
Will and Rose- good luck with college applications. those aren`t very fun.
Thanks for the emails and prayers.
Have a wonderful week everyone!
Love, Sestra Black
No comments:
Post a Comment