Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Charissa's mission 20080827

Sorella Charissa Black wrote:
Spanish? Albanian? Twe? I think I'm in Sicily...
8/27/2008 6:00 AM

Salve tutti,

So I've officially been a missionary for 3 months now, one month in Italy. Its amazing to think how the time passes. I really have come to love Sorella Bernabé and am learning a lot from her. I can almost get around Ragusa, am still sort of scared of talking to people on the phone, my hair is lighter already, and I am starting to feel like this is home.

This past week we worked so hard, talked to many people, taught many lessons, and are continually finding more people that are interested. Patrizia's birthday was yesterday, we made her a cake and she seemed so happy. She asked us the last time we taught her (out of the blue) if we would still come teach her if she decided to be baptized in our church. «Of course we will still see you all the time! We're your friends!» We have only talked with her a couple of times briefly about our religion, but she has taken great interest and is already seeming more content with her life.

Sofia is doing great, she really is enjoying reading The Book of Mormon in Albanese. Its really interesting being here in Sicily, there are people from all over the world that we meet everyday. A member of our congregation from Ghana? told me that black in Twe is «toom toom». There are many humble refugees from Africa here. The second week of September us missionaries here in Ragusa will restart teaching free language classes: English, Spanish, and Italian. (Now Sorella BernabĂ© and I have spanish practice time each day too!)

This week I feel like I have been more exhausted every day than most other days in my life, but I feel that it is definitely worth it. I am really finding joy in serving others, and am so glad that I am happy with sharing what I know to be true. In spite of all the trials that we may face in our lives, I am learning more and more each day that the truth shall set you free. Personally, this restored truth that I am sharing with others can bring peace and happiness these strangers (my brothers and sisters) that we meet every day. I encourage you to constantly seek for and share truth as well.


Come sempre, vi auguro un buon settimana!
Sorella Black

NB: In the spirit of truth seeking and sharing, if anyone is interested in the recipe for the amazing chocolate cake we made, here it is (ish).
3 c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 1 t salt, 2 t baking soda, 1/4 c. cocoa, 1 t vanilla, 3/4 c. oil, 2 T vinegar, bake 175° for abt 30 min. and frost with nutella.
(also, NB is latin/italian for nota bene=note well, like PS)

No comments: