Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Charissa's mission 20081112

Sorella Charissa Black wrote:
Weekly newsletter from Sorella B and Bé
11/12/2008 4:37 AM

Buenos dias!

Spanish class last week was wonderful, I am really starting to feel more confident. The people are all very humble, kind, and good people. Also 2 of the other missionaries here

are teaching Italian to Africans and others who don't know it, and in each of those two classes there is a girl who we are visiting and teaching about our beliefs. Veronica and Favour have both had very hard experiences in their lives, and even though Spanish is a struggle for me, and English likewise for Sorella Bernabé, it is wonderful getting to know these amazing people.

Another woman we are getting to know lives in the same house as Saida, in this place for women who are foreigners who are either pregnant or have a small child and no one to help them. Sharon is really interested in what she feels and is learning about as she comes to our church, and is very grateful English translation is available.

Overall, It has been another fantastic week of helping the people here in Ragusa, getting to know them better, and am loving watching stars and lights getting strung up along the main streets here. Time really does fly when you're having fun, and I can hardly believe I've been a missionary for almost 6 months. I spoke briefly in our church this sunday and realized I really am starting to feel at home here in Ragusa. I truly feel blessed to be involved in this great work!

Il Signore vi benedica una buona settimana, =May the Lord bless you with a good week,
Sorella Black


PS: We were slightly lamenting the absence of any electric appliances in our kitchen and we are now the proud owners of an €16 immersion mixer and blender with a food processor attachment. Now that we don't have to stir and chop and whip etc. everything by hand, we have been more excited about making desserts for people's birthdays and other occasions, and we had extra fluffy pancakes and homemade fig syrup for breakfast today. It is really amazing how I realize how much I take for granted in my life. The more I have met people who don't have the things that I am used to, the more grateful I am. Obviously a mixer is not important, but it made me realize how materialistic I am in some ways. Some people we are working with are struggling to eat every day... There are a lot of ways in which I want to improve myself. But bit by bit we can realize our biggest dreams, as long as we persist.

No comments: