Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Lydia update #9

Lydia is improving gradually. Her oxygen and ventilator settings are lower today than yesterday (that's good), and they are gradually weaning her off. For a couple of days she's been on a medicine to keep her from moving, since she was so sensitive to anything the nurses needed to do, but they're stopping that now. That will make it easier to tell how much sedation she needs. Today she is getting a transfusion (since lots of her blood has been sent to the hospital lab). That will help get her oxygen where it needs to go, and it will help keep the water in her blood vessels.

In that light it is interesting that last night when I got home (Winona stayed the night), I read an interesting short article in my college alumni magazine in which a cancer survivor points out that a blood donation represents a selfless sacrifice on someone's part--a donor who will always be anonymous to the recipient. It makes me realize that the people we have noticed being so generous to Lydia and us are only the visible few of many. I noticed the kindness of the two volunteers who stopped by this morning to offer Dad gum or a magazine or coffee or playing cards, but there have been invisible helpers too: blood donors, but also people who gave money to the hospital, or helped one of the doctors or nurses through school, or volunteered for a clinical trial for one of the medicines she's received. There are probably many others I haven't even thought of.

So thank you, whoever you are. The random seed of kindness you sowed has grown into a life-saving gift to Lydia.

Kevin Black

1 comment:

AZ said...

I've been combing facebook for updates and they're here on your blog. Prayers sent your way!