Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Lydia update #8

Nothing but good news today for Lydia.

Her official (2nd) cardiac echo came back. The pericardial effusion had not grown. Cardiac function was good. The right atrium and ventricle were somewhat enlarged (new, not longstanding), her pressure in her pulmonary veins was a little high, and she was still needing 90% O2. So the docs figured this meant her blood vessels in her lung were too tight, and they started her breathing a touch of nitric oxide (NO). Within minutes her venous pressure was down, her lung sounds cleared up substantially, her O2 is already down to 55%, and they are turning down the PEEP. Also, she is already a lot less puffier.

No fevers, the blood pressure is holding up, no new problems.

I am so grateful for smart docs and skilled nurses and cool science.

Kevin

1 comment:

Kevin J. Black said...

p.s. Now I suppose I have to stop making jokes about ultrasound. :)